Monday, February 13, 2012

Thyroglobulin

Hello and happy Monday! I'm one of those rare people who loves Mondays - because I get the day off work! I work four ten's and I honestly think it's the perfect schedule. Having a weekday off to get errands done and have some "Lisa" time is so helpful for my sanity.

A couple weeks ago I had my blood drawn to check my thyroglobulin (Tg) level. Like I've mentioned before, this is the tumor marker used for thyroid cancer. The goal is zero (no evidence of cancer). It takes a while to get the results back because they have to ship the blood across the country to the lab. As you can imagine, it isn't cheap - but necessary. Last time, in September, my level was 1.1. Now, nearly five months later, it is 0.9. The good news is it hasn't gone up. But the idea of some cancer cells still residing in me, waiting to multiply out of control whenever they wish, torments me. So I will continue with my healthy living and hope that my body keeps them in check - and fights them ferociously! 

Next month will bring more scans and follow up visits. Next month will also bring something else - something that I'm not sure I should celebrate or mourn. My one year cancer-versary. I was diagnosed on March 18, 2011. This year went by so fast, and while I won't call cancer a blessing, I will be thankful that it has brought me so much closer to some of my friends and has inspired me to write, to drink green juice, and to surround myself with people and things that I love. So, perhaps I should celebrate my first year of living (or as some people say, thriving) with cancer.

Alright my loves, Happy Valentines Day tomorrow. Calories don't count tomorrow (just like birthdays, Christmas, and Thanksgiving!), so spoil yourself with chocolate and conversation hearts! Or flowers - those really don't have calories.


xoxo,
Lisa





No comments:

Post a Comment