Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kick Cancer's Ass!

A cancer blog, how original! Well, this is my attempt to keep everyone updated on my progress and hopefully an outlet for all of my crazy thoughts as well. 


The first step in my treatment, a total thyroidectomy and right neck dissection {removal of the lymph nodes} was completed on April 7. I came out of recovery to find tons of friends, family, & coworkers there to support me and shower me with flowers, presents, & love. I think there was enough pink glitter...see the photo below! The good news is that Dr. Glenn feels he was able to remove all of the cancer and all of the lymph nodes that showed up on my CT scan without having to cut any muscles or nerves. We are still waiting on my pathology report.


Now I am well on my way to recovering and learning about living without a thyroid. My scar goes all the way from one side of my neck to the other, but I think it will heal into a thin line easily disguised with some pretty scarfs. For now I am taking levothyroxine, a thyroid hormone. In May I will have to go off of this and start a very low-iodine diet to begin step two in my treatment - radioactive iodine treatment. After my blood levels are sufficient, meaning enough of the thyroid hormone is out of my body {and I'm feeling like a slug, gaining weight, etc}, I will take the radioactive iodine orally. After this I will be radioactive so you'll want to keep your distance! {hehe}


A few days after the RAI treatment I will finally be able to have a full-body CT scan to see if the cancer has spread anywhere else. The iodine will show any "hot spots." This will be in early July. Then we will go from there to decide what further treatment or monitoring is needed!


Check back for updates as I have them!


xoxo,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment